It is with great pleasure that we announce the achievement of Natasha Dzameh, one of our Commercial & Chancery barristers, in winning the Bristol Law Society’s “Barrister of the Year 2017” award last night. She was lauded as an excellent lawyer and was also commended on her client service skills. Her accomplishment is demonstrative of the diligence she applies to every case and the priority with which she treats client satisfaction.
Natasha comments on last night’s success “I am delighted to have won the Bristol Law Society’s “Barrister of the Year 2017” Award. This is a surprising and welcome result at such an early stage in my career at the Bar. The support of my colleagues in Chambers, the guidance of my clerks and the level of trust placed in me by my instructing solicitors has been essential to the quick development of my practice. I am very proud to have made a significant impact on the legal community in Bristol.”
To instruct Natasha on a Commercial & Chancery matter please contact her clerks on | 0117 923 4740
St John’s Chambers providing ‘London-quality advice locally’ with ‘a good breadth and depth of expertise’
We are delighted to announce that St John’s Chambers has been recommended as a Top Tier Set in the Western Circuit’s Leading Set by The Legal 500 United http://pharmacy-no-rx.net/levitra_generic.html Kingdom 2017.
For one solicitor, St John’s Chambers is ‘one of the leading sets in the South West’, providing ‘London-quality advice locally’ with ‘a good breadth and depth of expertise’. We specialise in civil matters and have been noted for our strength in commercial, construction, family, personal injury, clinical negligence, regulatory and public law matters. Inquests and inquiries is another key area for our Chambers’.
Three of our QCs are listed in the Western Circuits “Leading silks” list, The Legal 500 United Kingdom 2017’s guide to outstanding silks nationwide.
Christopher Sharp QC, Family and children law & personal injury and clinical negligence, “He has a brilliant mind that understands the intricacies of any case.”
Leslie Blohm QC, Commercial, banking, insolvency, Chancery law and Property, “He is very grounded but has an air of absolute authority.”
Kathryn Skellorn QC, Family and children law, “Clients are in awe of her.”
In addition to the success of our QC’s, 38 of our barristers are listed in the “Leading juniors” list, The Legal 500 United Kingdom 2017’s guide to outstanding juniors nationwide.
To view further details on our Chambers’ listings please click here
Over the festive period, Chambers will be closed from 4.00pm on Friday, 23rd December and will re-open from 10.00am until 4.00pm on Thursday 29th December through to Friday 30th December.
We will open again for normal business hours on Tuesday, 3th January 2017.
For any emergency enquiries, please see our out of hours numbers.
“Its team of highly skilled advocates regularly act in the most prominent, high-value and heavyweight disputes in the region under the instruction of some of the biggest industry players.” Chambers UK (2017)
We are extremely grateful to our clients for providing such positive feedback which has resulted in us achieving ‘Top Ranked Set’ in the 2017 edition of Chambers UK.
41 of our barristers have been ranked across 20 major areas of law, including new rankings in the fields of competition law and Court of Protection. These new areas clearly identify St John’s as specialists in these fields with new addition Matthew O’Regan advising in a wide range of contentious and non-contentious competition law matters, and exceptional chancery barrister Alex Troup adept at handling Court of Protection work.
To find out what our clients say about our highly skilled advocates, please click on the individual areas of law links below.
Agriculture & Rural Affairs
Commercial Dispute Resolution
Court of Protection
Family / Matrimonial
Health & Safety
Real Estate Litigation
Restructuring / Insolvency
Our clerks have been described as extremely approachable, practical and will accommodate client’s needs. Commentary about our specialist teams include:
- “Acts for both claimants and an increasing number of defendants in complex and high-profile claims. The set has an impressive reach in the South West and is praised by solicitors for its established team and ‘undoubtedly good reputation”‘on the Western Circuit. Its members handle a diverse range of challenging cases including catastrophic injury, surgical error and dental negligence.” Clinical Negligence
- “St John’s has a wealth of experience in personal injury work. The set handles all manner of matters for claimants and defendants including accident at work and RTA claims. It has recently seen a sharp increase in industrial disease cases. Sources note that ‘they are very user-friendly and will always go the extra mile for you.’ ” Personal Injury
- “One of Bristol’s leading sets of chambers for company advisory and advocacy work, with its barristers obtaining regular instruction in shareholder disputes, directors’ duties and directors’ disqualification cases. The set is praised by sources for its provision of ‘commercially minded advice’ and the ‘professional and incredibly flexible’ attitude of its barristers.” Company
- “One of the leading chancery chambers on the Western Circuit, and is described as a very good set with contentious probate barristers who have very good knowledge of this area. It has a particular strength in traditional chancery, particularly complex property litigation, contentious trusts and inheritance disputes.” Chancery
- “St John’s Chambers has unmatched firepower in this area. It is the foremost specialist construction chambers on the Western Circuit, with a notable profile in the South Wales market. Its team of highly skilled advocates regularly acts in the most prominent, high-value and heavyweight disputes in the region under the instruction of some of the biggest industry players. Members of St John’s demonstrate prowess across a broad range of construction matters including claims of defects, arbitration appeals and professional negligence-related cases.” Construction & Engineering
- “Respected chambers with a growing commercial practice, praised for its consideration of practicalities such as costs and funding. One impressed interviewee states: ‘They have the feel of a heavyweight set and they are imaginative in offering solutions to help you settle a case.’ “ Commercial Dispute Resolution
- “This outstanding set houses a dedicated team of property practitioners who work across a broad spectrum of commercial and residential property matters, handling such matters as development issues and agricultural disputes. ‘I find that they just go a bit further for the client.They dig deep, try hard for the clients, are thorough and look for a solution.’ ” Property & Real Estate
- “A very strong Bristol-based team capable of representing clients across the full spectrum of family law matters. Offers a robust matrimonial finance practice and has also built up significant experience in private and public ADR proceedings. The set is also highly regarded for its forward-thinking approach to client service.” Family Law
- “St John’s Chambers fields a substantial team, covering all the main contentious and non-contentious partnership bases and offering not only litigation, but also arbitration and mediation expertise. The set is especially noted for its handling of insolvency issues and is also particularly skilled in the farming, property and technology partnership spheres.” Partnership
We are delighted to announce that St John’s Chambers have been awarded ‘Chambers of the Year’ at the Bristol Law Society’s Annual Awards on Thursday, 13th October. It was a very successful evening for St John’s with family barrister Lucy Reed also winning ‘Barrister of the Year’.
Attending from St John’s were Susan Hunter, Head of Chambers, Derek Jenkins, CEO, Elaine Jewell-Moore, Family Clerk, Paul Bennett, Commercial and Chancery Clerk , Alex Troup, Barrister, and their guests.
Having also won Chambers of the Year in 2015, these awards clearly identify Chambers continued commitment to the legal and wider community. Bristol Law Society’s annual awards recognise the important work in the Bristol legal community, celebrating their many successes and outstanding achievements.
Derek Jenkins, Chief Executive said: “Winning ‘Chambers of the Year’ award for two consecutive years demonstrates the excellent quality of legal services and range of expertise offered by St John’s Chambers. In the last 12 months Chambers has been involved in many landmark decisions, as well as leading initiatives designed to ensure that those who need justice are able to access it.”
Lucy Reed said “I’m proud to be part of such a vibrant legal community here in Bristol, and I recognise that the support and contribution of colleagues both in and outside of chambers has been an important part of the background to my winning this award.”
Susan Hunter Head of Chambers said “We are very proud to have won this years Chambers of the Year Award and extremely pleased that Lucy’s outstanding contribution to her profession and the wider legal community has been recognised. Well done to everyone who was shortlisted, and the other winners – what a fabulous night!”
Commercial and chancery barrister Martha Maher will be one of the speakers at the Chancery Bar Association Channel Islands Conference 2016 at The Royal Yacht Hotel, St Helier, Jersey on Thursday, 3rd November 2016.
Martha will speak on developments in the law of corporate attribution and will cover:
- In what circumstances will the acts and state of mind of company executives/ agents be attributed to it?
- Jurisprudential impact of Moulin Global Eyecare Trading Limited (2014 HKCFAR 218) and Supreme Court decisions in Bilta UK Ltd v Jetivia SA 2015 2WLR 11 and Patel v Mirza 2016 UKSC42.
There is also the chance for delegates to meet Martha and the other speakers at the champagne and canapé reception following the conference.
If you would like more details or to book your place, please click here.
“Martha is a formidable advocate renowned for her tenacious approach to litigation. She is particularly adept in fraud, insolvency and partnership litigation. ‘She is very commercial. She thinks about the practicalities of really getting a dispute resolved.’ ‘She was very responsive, very thorough and gained a really good grasp of a complicated dispute really quickly. She presented really well and the clients were impressed by her.’ ” Chambers UK, Commercial Dispute Resolution (2016)
If you would like to discuss instructing Martha, please contact her clerks on 0117 923 4740 or e-mail .
View profile: Martha Maher
St John’s Chambers is delighted to announce that we have been shortlisted for ‘Chambers of the Year’ at the Bristol Law Society’s Annual Awards 2016, being one of three sets to be nominated. This clearly identifies Chambers continued commitment to the legal profession and wider community having won this award in 2015. For men
St John’s Chambers identified by Legal 500 as an innovative set with high-quality barristers who have a collegiate approach
“St John’s Chambers is an innovative set with high-quality barristers who have a collegiate approach. The group only takes on civil matters, and, in addition to being hailed as a ‘very strong commercial set’, handles family law, personal injury and clinical negligence.” Legal 500 (2016)
To view our rankings please click here.
We are thrilled to announce that we have been recommended as a top-tier set, and listed in the eight main areas of law in the 2016 edition of The Legal 500. Three of our QCs are listed in the “Leading silks” list – a guide to outstanding silks nationwide. 12 of our barristers are recommended in the editorial, and 35 of our barristers are listed in the “Leading juniors” list – a guide to outstanding juniors nationwide.
- Leslie Blohm QC – “His calmness and gravitas puts clients at ease.” Commercial, banking, insolvency and chancery law
- Christopher Sharp QC – “An advocate of precision and strength, who gets to the heart of case.” Family and children law
- Kathryn Skellorn QC – “A master of her brief; her preparation is unmatched and she has an almost intimidating grasp of the law.” Family and children law
- Christopher Sharp QC – “An advocate of precision and strength, who gets to the heart of case.” Personal injury and clinical negligence
- Leslie Blohm QC – “His calmness and gravitas puts clients at ease.” Property
What does Legal 500 say about St John’s Chambers…
- Commercial, banking, insolvency and chancery law
An impressive range of barristers and is one of the leading sets in the region. The group is primarily known for Chancery and commercial matters, and a number of members are active in banking and insolvency cases. To view rankings click here.
- Construction, planning and environment
Chambers has a wide-ranging construction and planning practice, which also extends to related professional negligence matters. To view rankings click here.
Chambers’ employment practice is recommended for all forms of discrimination claims, where members represent employers and employees. To view rankings click here.
- Family and children law
Chambers has a strong family law team with many able barristers in financial and children cases. The group is well versed in the full range of matters and deals with complex and sensitive care cases as well as high-value financial remedy matters. Members have significant experience in the Court of Appeal. To view rankings click here.
- Personal injury and clinical negligence
With very strong counsel across all levels, St John’s handles both personal injury and clinical negligence cases. The set has seen a particular increase in industrial disease work of late, on both the claimant and defendant side. To view rankings click here
One of the leading sets in the West for property and Chancery work. To view rankings click here.
- Public law
Chambers public and administrative group has dealt with significant judicial reviews recently. To view rankings click here.
- Regulatory, health and safety, and licensing
Chambers regulatory team is home to experts in health and safety and licensing disputes. To view rankings click here.
“The administrative arm is excellent, always accessible and accommodating, and led by chief executive Derek Jenkins. Robert Bocock, Annette Bushell and Luke Hodgson are the practice managers.” Legal 500 (2016)
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our clients for their continued support and feedback provided to Legal 500.
St John’s barristers and clerks will be walking in this year’s South West Legal Support Trust’s Bristol Legal Walk on Monday, 26th September.
The Bristol Legal Walk is a 10km sponsored walk around Bristol and the city sights to raise money for local advice services. The need for free legal advice centres has grown in the past few years. The recession has increased poverty and reduced support services. Meanwhile funding for the advice centres themselves has reduced. The South West Legal Support Trust supports organisations that prevent families being made homeless, prevent destitution, help older people gain the support to which they are entitled, and help women and children who have been trafficked for domestic servitude or prostitution.
Our barristers and clerks are walking to ensure that many of the people most in need get help who would otherwise have been denied due to the huge reduction in government and local authority funding over the past few years.
There are currently 15 teams taking part in the walk including; Avon & Bristol Law Centre, Bristol Citizens Advice, Burges Salmon LLP, Cooke Painter Ltd, Co-Operative Legal Services, DAC Beachcroft LLP, Deighton Pierce Glynn, North Bristol Advice Centre, Queen Square Chambers, Somerset Community Care Matters, St Pauls Advice Centre, Talking Money, The Personal Support Unit and TLT LLP.
To sponsor our walkers and support access to justice for vulnerable people please visit our sponsorship page by clicking here.
St John’s Chambers proudly sponsored this year’s Bristol Junior Lawyers Division Ball held at the Marriott City Centre on 13th May.
The ball, which had a Great Gatsby theme, was extremely successful raising £3,000 for Julian’s Trust Night Shelter, a homeless shelter in Bristol. Julian’s Trust Night Shelter provides emergency accommodation, meals, and information about other homeless agencies in Bristol. Additional services such as health tramadol online screening, flu vaccinations and chiropody are also provided at the shelter.
The event was attended by Members and Pupils of St John’s who have said the night was highly enjoyable and entertaining. This is the 4th year that St John’s have sponsored the BJLD Ball, Laura Cavill chair of the BJLD has said “Thank you again for your continued support which makes the evening possible, we really do appreciate it.”
For further information about Julian’s Trust Night Shelter click here.