Call: 2002 (Inner Temple)
Qualifications: MA Law Bristol, BMus Honours Music, 2:1
Awards: Otto Rix awarded Inner Temple 2002
Caroline has extensive experience of care proceedings in the High Court, County Court and Family Proceedings Court where she represents local authorities, parents, guardians and the Official Solicitor. Recent matters in which Caroline has been instructed have included cases of:
- non-accidental injury
- sexual abuse
- incest and
- factitious illness syndrome (Munchausen syndrome by proxy).
She has appeared in the High Court in complex contact proceedings representing the guardian. She is often instructed where findings of fact as to sexual abuse are to be made; in these cases her experience of care proceedings is an obvious benefit. She further acts in cases of removal from the jurisdiction.
Caroline takes instructions in respect of court of protection matters.
Caroline is a committed and powerful advocate in family finance proceedings. Her expertise extends to cases in which third party interests are involved, pension sharing and the topical issues arising out of short marriages.
Caroline Elford is a specialist family practitioner who practises in all areas of family law with a strong emphasis on care proceedings and a special interest in matters of family finance. Her practice in this area has given her a detailed knowledge of the appropriate procedural law and she is known for her effectiveness as an advocate and a lawyer in technical applications.
She is a natural and experienced choice to represent local authorities in applications for public interest immunity. Her experience of matters in which social services are involved makes her very familiar with the nature of the material in dispute and because she formerly practised in crime she is perfectly placed to understand the issues in the criminal case.
- “Caroline Elford is a very safe pair of hands and a key contact for family law matters, especially in serious childcare matters.” Legal 500, Family (2017)
- “She will persist in making a point before a judge.” Legal 500, Family (2015)
- “Kind, sympathetic and a very good advocate.” Legal 500, Family (2014)
- “Caroline Elford [is] also highly recommended.” Legal 500, Family (2013)
- “Caroline Elford is highly experienced in complex care proceedings” Legal 500, Family (2012)
- “Able to pitch her approach to clients in a way that is appropriate to their needs.” Legal 500, Family (2011)
- “Caroline Elford ‘is a very good advocate but is so busy that she is not always available.” Legal 500, Family (2010)
- “Caroline Elford is a very good Advocate…” Legal 500, Family (2010)
- “Caroline Elford consistently instructed in complex care cases” Legal 500, Family (2009)
- “Caroline Elford is showing great promise ” Legal 500, Family (2008)