Call 1994 (Inner Temple)
Qualifications LLB Hons University of Bristol (1982) Law Society Finals: University of the West of England (Then Bristol Polytechnic) (1983); Qualified as a Solicitor in 1985
Nick specialises exclusively in family finance cases, particularly those including involving pensions, companies and farming. Prior to joining the Bar in 1994, Nick was a Solicitor and a partner in a Bristol firm. He was a founder member of the SFLA (now Resolution) and secretary of the Bristol SFLA for ten years.
From the beginning of his time at the Bar he has been consistently recommended by Chambers UK and the Legal 500 as a first rank practitioner.
He lectures regularly on topical issues.
- “Nick has a very solid reputation as a first-rate senior. He is one of the go-to barristers in the region for complex financial cases and, in particular, those involving business assets. He has a no-nonsense approach but always pitches it right.” “Always very thorough in his preparation of a case. He has an in-depth knowledge and expertise of the issues and the law, including consideration of pensions and actuarial issues along with tax and commercial considerations.” Chambers UK, Family/Matrimonial (2018)
- “A solid and very experienced barrister.” Legal 500, Family and children law (2017)
- “Nick is a senior junior whose practice at the Bar is bolstered by his ten years’ previous experience as a solicitor. He is highly thought of for his work in the ancillary relief sphere, representing clients in cases with complex pension, farm and company elements. ‘He’s a rock on whom one can depend for any financial case.’ ‘Utterly reliable for outcomes, he always calls it right. Settles where he can, fights where he must’.” Chambers UK, Family/Matrimonial (2017)
- “Nick is recommended for family finance.” Legal 500, Family and children (2016)
- “Nick focuses entirely on high-value ancillary relief disputes. His typical cases revolve around significant assets and often involve tax issues and overseas business interests. He is renowned for his empathetic manner with clients and his pragmatic approach to complex cases. ‘His work is first-class, it really is absolutely top-drawer.’ ‘He is very experienced; he always exhibits a full grasp of the case and is an excellent advocate who is well respected by his peers.’ ” Chambers UK, Family/Matrimonial (2016)
- “Nick solely practises on matrimonial finance cases of substantial value and complexity. He is highly praised for his negotiation and advocacy skills, as well as his client interaction. ‘He is quite exceptional. He stands out for his diligence – it is quite clear that whatever he is dealing with, he has an excellent understanding of it.’ ‘He is notably communicative and top of the range for counsel that is not silk.’ Chambers UK, Family/Matrimonial (2015)