Her detailed advice in respect of both liability and quantum is very impressive, and she is excellent in conferences. You can really trust her and she’s an amazing advocate.”
Emma is an experienced clinical negligence barrister, and since her pupillage at the Chambers of Lord Faulks QC where she specialised heavily in clinical negligence work Emma has continued this work in Wales and the South West acting for both claimants and health boards / NHS trusts.
She undertakes all types of clinical negligence claims including missed / delayed diagnosis of cancer, failure to diagnose DVT, gynaecological injury, pressure sore cases and psychiatric injuries / deaths.
Emma has a particular talent for handling multi-expert conferences which requires maturity, control and the tenacity to test the strength of the opinions upon which the claims / defences are based. As a trained mediator Emma knows the importance of suitable forms of ADR in clinical negligence disputes and how this can be extremely important given the challenges presently facing such claims.
Recent cases include:
- Collard v Betsi Cadwaladr ULHB – (For Defendant) – Multi-million pound claim concerning delayed diagnosis of a brain tumour leading to severe neurological, cognitive and sight impairment.
- SD v Cardiff & Vale (For Defendant) – admitted failure to administer morphine post spinal surgery. Case concerns whether breach caused the Claimant’s alleged Functional neurological disorders.
- Hodges v Great Western Hospital – (For Claimant) Pressure sores case concerning a man with pre-existing spina bifida and a longstanding history of pressure sores – Quantum and causation issues.
- MP X Hosp – (For Claimant) – Alleged failure of midwifery care in feeding a twin who suffered brain injury as a result of hypoglaecaemia.
- P v Cardiff and Vale NHS – (For Defendant) – 7-figure sum claimed for failure to diagnose DVT leading to the claimant’s death – quantification of the fatals claim.
- L – (For Claimant) – DuPuy metal on metal hip replacement claim.
- ED v Cardiff &Vale NHS – (For Defendant) – concerns alleged failure of ophthalmology team to diagnose tumour in case of a young girl.
- Mock trial: Sitting as Judge in a mock trial tailored for solicitors needs on Clinical Negligence (Jun 2020)
- Live Webinar: Inquest update in light of COVID-19 (May 2020)
- Webinar: An Update from St John’s Chambers Personal Injury & Clinical Negligence Teams (Apr 2020)
- Inquests seminar: Submissions at the inquest and beyond (Dec 2019)
- Mediation in clinical negligence disputes: How can it work for me? Delivered to various solicitors
- Mock trial: sitting as a Judge in a mock trial for a Highways Act claim, to provide training for numerous authorities in the South West.
- AvMA: Best practice in preparing for medical death inquests (Feb 2019)
- Inquest funding: AvMA South West meeting in conjunction with the area coroner
- Inquests: What ever practitioner should know
- Article 2 inquests
- Highway Law: Best practice and procedure seminar for Wiltshire County Council (Feb 2018)
- AvMA Conference Birmingham: Chaired conference and delivered seminar on ADR (Jan 2018
- AvMA clinical negligence seminar: Chair and presented talk on ADR (Jan 2018)
- Mock trial: Sitting as District Judge in a mock trial in a Highways Act claim, training attendees from 6 local authorities in the South West (March 2017)
- HMSC Voisin hosted the Coroner’s Court Support Service and delivered a day of seminars (Dec 2017)
- Junior Counsel to the Crown 2018
- Western Circuit Elected Representative for PIBA 2017 to present
- PIBA – member of the Executive Committee (2017 to present) and Western Circuit electred representative 2017 – 2019
- Association of Women Judges
- Association of South West Mediators
Qualifications & awards:
- LLB. Kings College, University of London – Law Degree (1996)
- Inns of Court School of Law – Bar Vocational Course (1998)
- Inner Temple Scholar 1997/1998.