In addition to his main personal and clinical negligence caseload, James specialises in work raising issues of data protection, privacy and confidentiality.
Recent work includes:
- Advising a local authority on: the effect of the GDPR on subject access requests; litigation privilege arising out of claims made against it as highway authority; and an information sharing agreement in place in respect of operational decisions relating to children in its care
- Acting for an NHS Trust and consultant radiologist who were two of three defendants in a claim in which the claimant alleged various breaches of: privacy rights; the (1998) data protection legislation; misuse of private information; and the Human Rights Act 1998 after the claimant had received routine cancer screening and follow-up treatment.
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Qualifications & awards:
- LLB (Hons) (Nottingham University) – Law with European Law (2010)
- BPTC, College of Law (2011)
- LLM, Bristol University (2012)
- Erasmus Scholar
- Nottingham University Mooting Competition and Law Graduates’ Association Moot Prize Winner
- Westlaw UK Mooting Competition Winner (judged by Jackson LJ)
- Lord Justice Jackson’s Award for Best Submissions at Westlaw UK Moot Final
- National Mock Trial Competition Semi-Finalist
- Herbert Smith Mooting Competition Winner (Bristol University, judged by Lord Kerr, Supreme Court Justice)