Jeremy has a broad range of experience in the specialist field of planning work, ranging from major infrastructure inquiries (for an interested party at the hearing stage in the £4bn Thames Tideway Tunnel project to assisting in the promotion of the Weymouth and Newton Abbot bypass schemes), advising on draft Core Strategy, High Court challenges on technical issues (Beazer Homes re monies held under a s.106 and Metro Construction re designation of conservation areas) to smaller inquiries on enforcement issues and housing and retail development schemes. Jeremy represented the Bristol Ramblers Group, at an Inquiry concerning Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system.
Jeremy also gained unique experience at the Infrastructure Planning Commission, working in-house on the development of the new regime and policies.
- Mexico Crossing and Buriton Crossing – securing rail crossing extinguishment orders for Network Rail.
- Thames Tideway Tunnel project – representing an interested party in relation to the impact of the project, which raisied novel issues under the Planning Act 2008.
- Taylor v Honiton TC (East Devon DC) – representing local authority in case deciding duties of principal authorities and the extent of sanctions which m be imposed.
- UCS new sports pavilion scheme (on behalf of LB of Barnet) – for local authority seeking to uphold a refusal of permission following officers’ recommendation to grant.
- Reliant Building Contractors Ltd v Nuneaton & Bedworth Borough Council: Midland Road, Nuneaton, Warwickshire (APP/W3710/A/12/2176750) – proposed developments of erection of 84 houses. Successful s.78 appeal against refusal to grant outline planning permission.
- RB of Tunbridge Wells v Arriva Plc (on behalf of Tesco Stores) [APP/M2270/A/10 /2138774] – resisting appeal against refusal of permission for development of new retail store in District Centre.
- Greensquare Residents Association) v Higgins Homes PLC & Ors – TVG Inquiry on behalf of residents association [LLC/MM/004/2008].
- Hampshire CC v Beazer Homes Ltd  EWHC 3095 (QB) – declaratory proceedings as to the obligations of LPAs in relation to monies held under a s.106 agreement.
- R (on the application of Metro Construction Ltd) v Barnet London Borough Council  EWHC 2956 (Admin) – concerning the lawfulness of the designation of sites as Conservation Areas (2009).
- Weymouth Relief Road – public inquiry jointly with Leading Counsel into major infrastructure proposal (2008) – resulting in the confirmation of the CPOs needed to enable the construction of the road required for the 2012 Olympics to proceed. Similarly involved in 4 week public inquiry into the South Devon Link Road (2009).
- McCarthy & Stone (Developments) Ltd v Hertsmere Borough Council [APP/N1920/A/07/2018226] – appeal against refusal to grant planning permission and proposal to meet affordable housing requirement with off-site provision.
- Accredited mediator – CEDR (2008)
Qualifications & awards:
- Qualified as solicitor in London (1980)
- Partner Cartwrights (1982)
- Co-founder Holt Phillips (1984)
- Equity partner Eversheds (following merger with Holt Phillips) (1994)
- Partner Osborne Clarke (2001) upon consolidation of Eversheds’ South West practices in Cardiff. Leader of national teams in both firms.