Jeremy’s 30 year experience in the regulatory field ranges from defending leading supermarket retailers in smaller scale prosecutions for breach of regulatory legislation, to involvement in major environmental and health and safety criminal cases, both as prosecution and defence counsel.
He is also co-author of the new leading work: The Law of Regulatory Enforcement and Sanctions – A Practical Guide, which examines the potential impact of the Regulatory Enforcement & Sanctions Act 2008.
- LB of Newham v Memon – alleged fatality & 32 cases of food poisoning at outside professionally catered event. Both defendants convicted following 20-day trial but cleared of responsibility for the fatality that had occurred.
- MMO v Boyce – prosecuting for breach of licensing requirement for works in the marine environment.
- Slough BC v Sabar Bros – H&S prosecution for s.2 and s.3 HSWA offences and breach of LOLER requirements concerning safety of goods lifts, following serious accident.
- Cheshire West & Chester Council v Ungerer Ltd – representing local authority in 8-day Odour Abatement Notice appeal
- Westminster City Council v Maiden London Ltd – defending heavily contested prosecution for alleged breach of Noise Abatement Notice
- EA v Stroud – representing defendant in relation to confiscation proceedings arising from a larger complex environmental prosecution.
- R (on prosecution by LB of Tower Hamlets) v Fitness & Leisure club – representing national operator in noxious fumes case.
- Hart DC v Medvit Ltd – defence of hotel/conference centre for breach of food hygiene regulations.
- R (on prosecution by the Environment Agency) v Paul Crabb – representing EA on range of waste offences
- Environment Agency v Two Sisters Food Group Ltd – defending allegations of multiple breaches of Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regs 2007.
- HSE v Citytex – HSE prosecution and Newton hearing into causes of substantial building collapse; having regard to civil issues.
- Health And Safety Executive v KD Childs (1) & Persimmon Homes (Midlands) Limited – representing HSE re fatality arising from the application of certain building systems on site.
- Accredited mediator – CEDR (2008)
Qualifications & awards:
- Qualified as solicitor in London (1980)
- Partner Cartwrights (1982)
- Co-founder Holt Phillips (1984)
- Equity partner Eversheds (following merger with Holt Phillips) (1994)
- Partner Osborne Clarke (2001) upon consolidation of Eversheds’ South West practices in Cardiff. Leader of national teams in both firms.