She is extremely knowledgeable and has an excellent grasp of the medical issues in clinical negligence claims. She is also an excellent strategist. ‘Excellent both in court and on paper.’ “
Vanessa leads a successful and expanding Clinical Negligence team. Having worked as a Senior Physiotherapist in the NHS before studying law, she brings a strong medical knowledge to her extensive clinical negligence practice and to personal injury cases in which complex medical issues arise. She is also a trained mediator.
Vanessa acts for claimants and defendants, dealing with all aspects of clinical negligence arising in NHS hospitals, GP surgeries and other primary care centres, private clinics and ambulance services.
She is experienced in high-value and complex litigation involving all areas of medical care. Her cases cover areas such as surgical negligence, delayed cancer of diagnosis, obstetric and midwifery care, delayed treatment of sepsis, pharmaceutical negligence, cardiac treatment and the treatment of renal conditions.
Recent work includes:
- Payne v South Devon Healthcare NHS Trust – 6-day trial involving alleged delay in abdominal surgery
- Lunn v Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust – 4-day trial involving stillbirth
- IIayesa v North Bristol NHS Trust – 3-day trial involving alleged negligent surgical treatment
- Titchener v Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust – 4-day trial involving alleged obstetric negligence
- Young v Fraser: 400,000 settlement following drug-induced renal failure
- Worth-Catherall v Warwick House Medical Centre – 250,000 settlement following drug-induced peripheral neuropathy
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Bristol Medico-Legal Society
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
Qualifications & awards:
- LLB and Bar Vocational Course at the University of the West of England
- Harmsworth Scholar Middle Temple
- LL.M Medical Law, Cardiff University