Richard has an excellent understanding of complex technical issues, and his no-nonsense approach wins great favour with clients. ‘He has a fantastic attention to detail, is always very well prepared and has an excellent bedside manner with clients.’ “
Family: Matrimonial Finance
Richard’s particular area of interest is in financial remedies and he has developed a strong practice in this sphere. He accepts instructions in cases involving a variety of issues including matrimonial/non-matrimonial property, nuptial settlements, company interests (and valuation issues relating to companies), partnerships, pre / post nuptial agreements and pension issues, to name just a few.
Recent cases include:
- Representing the husband in a case involving a multi-million pound chain of convenience stores. Successfully negotiated settlement.
- Representing the wife in a case involving a partnership running a portfolio of investment properties and accounting issues relating to the distribution of partnership profits. Successfully negotiated settlement.
- Representing the wife in a case involving disputed valuations of an engineering company, issues as to taxation, Wells sharing and the impact of a health condition.
- Representing the wife in a case where the husband was successfully held to an agreement to resolve finances notwithstanding his subsequent significant loss of fortune.
- Representing the husband in a case where the husband argued that all the property held in his sole name was subject to loans repayable to his mother. Successfully negotiated settlement.
- Representing the wife in a case involving a portfolio of multiple commercial and residential properties. Issues included valuation, capital gains tax and arguments relating to non-matrimonial property. Successfully negotiated settlement.
Richard accepts instructions on a Public Access basis in appropriate cases.
- Family Law Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Qualifications & awards:
- BA Hons, University of Bristol
- Graduate Diploma in Law, BPP
- Bar Vocational Course, City University (Outstanding)
- Lord Justice Holker Scholarship, Gray’s Inn
Richard studied music at Bristol University before moving to London to study law. He completed his Bar Exams at City University, London (formerly the Inns of Court School of Law) and was assessed as ‘Outstanding’. Richard returned to the West Country and commenced pupillage with St John’s Chambers Family Practice Group in 2009. He was offered a tenancy one year later upon successful completion of pupillage.