John is a brilliant advocate and you can rely on him to pull something out of the bag. ‘Very responsive, very intelligent and very commercial.’ “
Real Estate Litigation
John is a very experienced adviser and advocate and has practised in the area of co-ownership claims for over 25 years.
He is ranked in Band 1 for both real estate litigation and chancery in Chambers UK and is one of Legal 500’s leading individuals. Chambers UK 2018 described him as “… an exceptional barrister both in terms of his judgement and his people skills and as good as any senior junior in the country” and “just a bright, clever and straight-dealing guy. He’s quite respected and highly regarded.”
John understands the particular needs of clients involved in co-ownership and ToLATA claims. He aims to achieve a practical, cost-effective result that protects and promotes their interests.
The sort of work John has done includes the following:
- Co-ownership claims between co-habiting partners.
- Co-ownership claims involving third parties (typically parents) who contribute to the property’s acquisition or improvement.
- John has particular expertise in third party interventions in divorce proceedings.
- Proprietary estoppel claims to a beneficial interest or other form of equity arising from promises made by owners.
- Claims for an account based on unequal contributions / expenditure following termination of the relationship.
Orders for sale.
- Member of Chancery Bar Association
- Member of the Agricultural Law Association
- Secretary of the Western Chancery & Commercial Bar Association
Qualifications & awards:
- BA (Oxon) 1st Class 1986
- LLM (Cantab) 1987
- LLM (University of Pennsylvania) 1988
- Thouron Scholar (University of Pennsylvania) 1987-8
- Attorney-at-Law New York State 1991
- Queen Mother’s Scholar 1992
- Sachs Prize & Campbell-Foster Prize 1993 (all Middle Temple)
Before joining the Bar, John practised as an attorney-at-law in a Wall Street law firm from 1989 to 1991. His practice there included contentious take-overs and major litigation for international banks, insurance companies and brokerage houses.