John has a very commercial approach and a nice manner about him. He’s an excellent advocate and a good fighter who is well respected and in demand.”
Real Estate Litigation
John is very well versed in handling a variety of complex cases, and is frequently instructed on behalf of estates, developers, public authorities as well as private clients. He is ranked in Band 1 for both real estate litigation and chancery in Chambers UK and is one of Legal 500’s leading individuals.
Chambers UK describe him as “… an exceptional barrister both in terms of his judgement and his people skills and as good as any senior junior in the country.” He has a First Class Law degree from Oxford University and Masters of Law degrees from Cambridge University and the University of Pennsylvania. He was formerly an Attorney in New York.
John’s practice covers the whole area of real estate but his particular specialisms include the following:
- Contracts for the sale of land, for example, title problems, interpretation, termination, etc.
- HM Land Registry practice
- Options/rights of pre-emption
- Overage clauses
General land disputes
- Rights of way, rights to light, water rights and profits
- Restrictive covenants
- Party walls
- Adverse possession
- Proprietary estoppel
- Nuisance (including tree roots, flooding and subsidence)
Landlord and Tenant
- Principally commercial property but also agricultural and residential
- Lease construction
- Rent reviews
- Service charge disputes
- Break notices
- Assignments and sublettings
- 1954 Act renewals
John has written a book on Land Licences, (Jordans Publishing) in which Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury writes the foreword. He is a contributor to the New Law Journal, a member of the Chancery Bar Association and Agricultural Law Association, and regularly tweets on property law, giving updates and news on cases, legislation, regulation and market developments. Follow him on Twitter @sharples_john.
- Member of Chancery Bar Association
- Member of the Agricultural Law Association
- Secretary of the Western Chancery & Commercial Bar Association
Qualifications & awards:
- BA (Oxon) 1st Class 1986
- LLM (Cantab) 1987
- LLM (University of Pennsylvania) 1988
- Thouron Scholar (University of Pennsylvania) 1987-8
- Attorney-at-Law New York State 1991
- Queen Mother’s Scholar 1992
- Sachs Prize & Campbell-Foster Prize 1993 (all Middle Temple)
Before joining the Bar, John practised as an attorney-at-law in a Wall Street law firm from 1989 to 1991. His practice there included contentious take-overs and major litigation for international banks, insurance companies and brokerage houses.