He is extremely experienced and capable.”
Richard has experience and expertise in a large variety of construction and engineering matters. Examples of his experience in specialist issues and subject matter are as follows:
- Commercial property and residential developments
- Condensation and thermal insulation
- Curtain walling
- Defective works and other contractual disputes
- Final account, extension of time and defect claims
- Mundic Block and pre-fabricated concrete construction in residential buildings
- Product liability with particular reference to building materials
- Roads, bridges, drains and waterways
- Sports stadia and leisure facilities
Recent work includes:
- Burges Salmon LLP v Temple Quay 20 Ltd – acting for the tenant claiming damages from a developer / landlord for late completion of the development prior to occupation by the tenant.
- Al Khalaf v Brill & Owen – defending a claim against architects for the design and supervision of building works, with a claim in respect of delay in the completion of the building works.
- Taylor Wimpey v HGH Groundworks Ltd – defending a claim in respect of defective foundations on an estate of dwelling houses.
- Castle Building & Construction Ltd v Brake – representing the employer in a construction case. Sued by the contractor and counterclaiming in respect of defective works and the final account in respect of a holiday development. 2 week trial in TCC.
- Croydon Hotels v Ardmore Construction Ltd – acting for the claimant in a claim arising out of the defective installation of cladding and roofing materials and a claim for liquidated damages.
- Denton v TH White Ltd / Delaval – acting for the claimant farmers in a claim in respect of the defective installation / supply of a milking parlour leading to significant loss of profits – compromised following lengthy litigation including a Court of Appeal decision on relief from sanction  EWCA Civ 906.
- Leumi ABL Ltd v Tinnelly Construction Ltd – acting for the defendant contractor in respect of a claim by debt factors acting on behalf of a building cladding material supplier suing for £500k.
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and Technology
- Construction Bar Association
Qualifications & awards:
- MA (Cantab), ACI Arb