Roy excels at providing practical, strategic advice that is tailored to the facts and legal issues involved but is also presented in a way that is accessible to our clients. He is always friendly and approachable and goes out of his way to be available to discuss matters to ensure client deadlines can be met. ‘He has a huge amount of experience and is a leading light in the area.'”
Roy accepts instructions in all areas of licensing and planning. He is highly commended for his advocacy, legal knowledge, negotiating skills and approachable client-friendly manner.
He acts for individuals and small businesses as well as public authorities and international corporations throughout England and Wales. Clients include supermarket chains, convenience store operators, petrol companies, breweries, restaurant businesses, taxi companies and drivers, nightclub operators, national stadiums, race courses, festival organisers, police authorities, private individuals, local residents and licensing and planning authorities.
Roy writes and lectures extensively, regularly speaks at national conferences and provides training for local authorities and others.
Prof Light is qualified to accept instructions direct from clients under the Bar Council’s Public Access Scheme under which members of the public may seek specialist advice and representation direct from him. For further information please contact my clerks.
- Professor Emeritus, Bristol Law School, UWE
- Fellow of the Institute of Licensing
- Member, Planning Law Bar Association
Qualifications & awards:
- LLB, LLM (London), M Phil, PhD (Cantab)
Recent seminars/training include:
- Local Government Law Conference, recovering costs in licensing appeals, Bristol (6 December 2018)
- Institute of Licensing, avoiding and dealing with licensing appeals and the Portman Group Complaints Panel, Stratford upon Avon, (15-16 November 2018)
- North Devon Council, avoiding and dealing with taxi licensing appeals, (27 September 2018)
- Institute of Licensing, taxi licensing appeals, Leeds, (10 July 2018)
- Institute of Licensing, taxi licensing appeals, Swindon, (26 April 2018)
- Institute of Licensing annual training conference, licensing petrol stations and motorway service areas and licensing sexual entertainment venues, Stratford upon Avon, (16-18 November 2017)
- Institute of Licensing, super strength beers, lagers & ciders, Stratford upon Avon (17 November 2017)
- Institute of Licensing, Taxis: ‘fit & proper persons’, Stratford upon Avon, (16 November 2017)
- Tri-Authority training day, taxis and Licensing Act 2003, Poole, (15 November 2017)
- Tri-Authority training day, gambling and sex establishment licensing, Poole, (13 September 2017)
- North Dorset District Council, licensing update, Dorchester (25 July 2017)
- Borough of Poole, councillor training, Poole, (13 July 2017)
- Isles of Scilly Council licensing training, St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly, (17 May 2017)
- Institute of Licensing, The Police and Crime Act 2017 & Immigration Act 2016, Bristol (24 April 2017)
- Institute of Licensing, The House of Lords Select Committee on LA 2003, Bath (9 December 2016)
- Tri-Authority training day, taxis and Licensing Act 2003, Poole (15 November 2016)
- House of Lords Select Committee on the Licensing Act 2003 invited oral evidence (1 November 2016)