William has established good credentials in the arbitration communities of China and Asia’ and ‘An expert on FIDIC contracts and related arbitration.”
Generally very substantial experience of institutional and ad hoc commercial and technical arbitrations and related applications, challenges and appeals. Leading cases include: LG Caltex Gas Co and Contigroup Companies v China National Petroleum Corporation and China Petroleum Technology Development Corporation  BLR 235 (effect of s 67 Arbitration Act 1996); North Range Shipping Ltd v Seatrans Shipping Corp (The Western Triumph)  2 Lloyd’s Rep 1 (CA applying Human Rights Act 1998 to leave to appeal applications under s 69 Arbitration Act 1996; Antaios held no longer to apply); Peterson Farms Inc v C&M Farming Ltd  1 Lloyd’s Rep 614 (first reported decision on power under s 70(7) Arbitration Act 1996 to secure award pending appeal or challenge; guidelines).
William has acted in arbitrations and advising on shipping issues generally. Work includes acting for a Chinese state enterprise defending claims under a voyage charter and raising complex issues of quantum and causation; acting for Chinese charterers in substantial LMAA arbitration defending claims by Korean disponent owners for damages for breach of contract of affreightment and acting for Chinese charterers facing various claims arising out of five C/Ps in an LMAA arbitration.
- Arbitration panel member of the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission and the Dubai International Arbitration Centre
- Panel adjudicator of the Technology and Construction Bar Association
- Lecturer at City University and at the School of Oriental and African Studies (London University)
Qualifications & awards:
- BA (First Class) University College London
- B Phil;D Phil Oriel College, Oxford.
- Benefactors senior law scholar, Middle Temple