Call 2004 (Inner Temple)
Qualifications LLB (Hons) Warwick
Professional Memberships Personal Injury Bar Association and Employment Law Bar Association, Free Representation Unit
Darren practices in all areas of employment law for Trades Union ranging from UCATT to RMT and Respondents ranging from Bristol City Council to Coca Cola Enterprises Limited. He specialises in:
- Unfair dismissal and redundancy
- Wrongful dismissal
- Advisory work for Bristol City Council and other local authorities
- Discrimination – experience of race, sex and particularly disability discrimination cases
- Trade Union Ballots, and Procedure
Darren’s employment practice compliments his industrial disease and workplace liability practice in which he regularly acts for claimants, Trade Unions and Employers.
- Understanding of the overlap between employment and personal injury law particularly in relation to damages.
- Extensive experience of noise induced hearing loss claims.
- Frequent instruction in all “Six Pack” Regulations injuries.
- Catastrophic injuries and fatalities particularly relating to Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002.
- Mesothelioma and asbestos related litigation.
- Practical understanding and interest in claims arising out of mining industry especially vibration white finger.
Darren has gained many years experience at the Personal Injury Bar dealing with matters ranging from RTAs and credit hire to CICA claims and CRU appeals.
Darren also has extensive experience in industrial disease and workplace liability cases. For further details, see ‘industrial disease’.
Darren is frequently instructed in detailed assessments by specialist costs firms.
Darren is a specialist in travel, aviation and maritime litigation having appeared and advised regularly for two of the major tour operators in the UK and one of the leading international shipping lines for many Claimants. He has particular experience in:
- Personal injury and purely contractual claims under The Package Travel, Package Holiday and Package Tours Regulations 1992
- Sporting activities and excursions on holiday
- Accidents during international carriage by air under the Montreal Convention
- Accidents during international carriage by sea under Athens Conventions
- Domestic air and merchant shipping fatalities and accidents
- Jurisdictional and Choice of law disputes in the International and European forums
Dockside and Merchant Shipping Personal Injury Claims by workers
Acts for the major Trade Unions and major shipping lines in injuries to crew aboard merchant ships and dockworkers/associated port employees and police.
Darren practises in all aspect of employers’ liability and industrial disease litigation. He is regularly instructed by both claimant and defendants in “Six Pack Regulations” claims. He specialises in noise induced hearing loss litigation and associated limitation disputes.
Darren is also a specialist in travel, aviation and maritime litigation having appeared and advised regularly for two of the major tour operators in the UK and one of the leading international shipping lines in addition to Claimants.
Darren has gained a wealth of experience at the Personal Injury Bar dealing with matters ranging from RTAs and credit hire to CICA claims and CRU appeals.
Darren also practises in all areas of employment law for Trades Union ranging from UCATT to RMT and Respondents ranging from Bristol City Council to Coca Cola Enterprises Limited. He also specialises in whistle blowing.
Darren is a panel Barrister for the Equality and Human Rights Council.
Darren is willing to consider cases on a CFA basis and is qualified to undertake public access work in appropriate cases, for further information, please visit our Public Access page.
Darren joined St John’s Chambers in 2006 having completed his pupillage in a Chambers in the Temple.