James regularly acts for claimants and defendants and their insurers when allegations of fundamental dishonesty or wider fraud are alleged. He has experience in RTA and EL/PL claims of: staged accidents; phantom passenger claims; LVI, and dishonest or exaggerated injury or loss claims after genuine accidents; and dishonest credit hire claims.
Recent work includes:
- Securing a finding of fundamental dishonesty for a defendant against all three claimants, who were the driver and passengers respectively, of a vehicle involved in very low speed collision with the defendant’s vehicle. The DCJ for Bristol described all three claims as being tainted by ‘root and branch’ fundamental dishonesty.
- Acting for occupiers or employers in cases where the claimant is said to have deliberately staged or manufactured an accident at work or on the premises.
- Acting successfully for two claimants at trial where a phantom passenger defence was raised.
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Qualifications & awards:
- LLB (Hons) (Nottingham University) – Law with European Law (2010)
- BPTC, College of Law (2011)
- LLM, Bristol University (2012)
- Erasmus Scholar
- Nottingham University Mooting Competition and Law Graduates’ Association Moot Prize Winner
- Westlaw UK Mooting Competition Winner (judged by Jackson LJ)
- Lord Justice Jackson’s Award for Best Submissions at Westlaw UK Moot Final
- National Mock Trial Competition Semi-Finalist
- Herbert Smith Mooting Competition Winner (Bristol University, judged by Lord Kerr, Supreme Court Justice)