Jimmy has developed a specialist practice in personal injury, acting for claimants and defendants alike. He is regularly instructed to advise, settle pleadings and to attend interim hearings and trials in multi-track cases in the County Court and the High Court.
He is experienced in road traffic accidents, employers’ & public liability and industrial disease claims, including claims involving health and safety regulations, NIHL, occupational stress, the Highways Act 1980, the Occupiers’ Liability Acts and claims for negligence. He acts in travel law claims brought under the Montreal and Athens Conventions and the Package Tour Regulations.
Examples of recent cases in his private practice include:
- Settling pleadings for and advising an abattoir worker in a manual handling/provision of work equipment claim which caused a significant back injury.
- Acting for a defendant with a limitation defence at trial in claim for historic NIHL.
- Advising on contributory negligence in claim by factory operative whose hand was crushed.
- Advising soldiers with NIHL, NFCI and other injuries in a series of claims against the MOD.
- Acting for a claimant who suffered a needle-stick injury from a syringe left in an item bought from a pawnbrokers.
- Acting for highways authorities in various trials for slipping and tripping claims.
- Acting for the operators of a fairground ride in the case of a claimant who suffered amputation of finger on the ride.
- Acting for an elderly claimant who fractured her leg after tripping on a gravel verge in a car park.
- Acting for claimant who suffered an eye injury during a school science experiment.
- Personal Injury Bar Association
Qualifications & awards:
- LLB European (Magister), University of Exeter (First Class); LLM, University of the Saarland (First Class); Bachelor of Civil Law, University of Oxford
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn; Cavendish Prize; DLA European Law Prize; Markus Zalewski Prize; School of Law Commendation.