Excellent – flexible, supportive and very easy to work with.”
COMMERCIAL DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Charlie is a well regarded barrister for his commercial and financial services expertise, which is supported by 15 years’ prior experience as an investment banker. He is also regularly instructed in cases concerning partnership law and insolvency.
Charlie has been involved in a range of commercial matters in the Court of Appeal, the High Court and the County Courts, with a particular emphasis on company disputes and commercial contract disputes. He recently successfully defended an unfair prejudice petition in a High Court trial, involving breach of a shareholders’ agreement and reflective loss.
Recent work includes:
- Charlie was instructed to act for a major defence contractor in a dispute with former shareholder/directors worth in excess of £15m. The unfair prejudice petition and counterclaim were legally and factually complex and involved offshore companies, as well as major MOD contracts. Charlie advised, drafted pleadings and acted for the respondent company at preliminary hearings and at mediation. The matter was settled at mediation.
- Charlie acted as sole counsel for the respondent director in a week long unfair prejudice petition/breach of shareholders’ agreement trial in the High Court (Companies Court). The case has been appealed to the Court of Appeal. See more details: Cusack v Holdsworth and another  EWHC 3084 (Ch).
- Successful in a week long trial in the High Court in which unfair prejudice, breach of a shareholder’s agreement and breach of contract were alleged.
- Advised a multi-million pound South Wales based partnership on the dissolution of the partnership and the repurchase of the assets of the partnerships by the founding partner.
- Represented a start-up technology venture in the Companies Court in an application to amend/remove documents from the register that had been filed in error.
- Represented a company in an application in the Companies Court relating to the registration of a charge.
- Commercial Bar Association
- Chancery Bar Association
Qualifications & awards:
- MA Oxford University (St Peter’s College)
- GDL and BPTC (College of Law)