Commercial Property & Development
Home to a large number of specialist members, who are experienced in commercial, agricultural, and residential property cases."
St John’s Chambers has a highly specialised Real Estate team. We advise commercial, agricultural, private and public sector clients throughout the UK. Its members have an enviable reputation for their legal expertise in dealing with commercial problems concerning the sale and development of land.
We advise on a range of projects from the sale or development of single plots/buildings to large-scale residential, commercial and industrial estates and multi-phased development schemes. We have the skill and advocacy experience to deliver commercial solutions to commercial problems involving land.
We represent a wide range of clients including developers (from national, regional and local housebuilders to private individuals), wholesale/retail operators, distributors, rural estates, housing associations, local authorities and private individuals.
Areas of expertise:
- Contracts (including conditional contracts) for the sale of land, such as their enforceability, interpretation, termination, etc
- Misrepresentation claims arising from answers to pre-contract inquiries
- Sale and lease-back agreements
- Leases and subleases of development land
- Land swaps
- Overage clauses
- Option and rights of pre-emption
- Barriers to development, such as restrictive covenants, rights of way, rights to light, mineral rights, etc
- Financing the purchase and development of land
- Land registration issues, such as the relative priorities of competing interests
In cases with a public law element (e.g. planning conditions, s106 agreements, environmental impact, public rights of way, and procurement issues) we can work in conjunction with our Public and Administrative Law team to provide a comprehensive service.
We are committed to alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration, with a number of our barristers being qualified mediators. Our mediation team is on hand to help, by providing the advocates, mediators or both. Our facilities are specifically designed to meet clients’ needs. Read more.
The team delivers workshops and seminars in Chambers and regional centres. We also provide training on behalf of local Law Societies and in conjunction with solicitors’ firms. In addition we can give tailored in-house training for particular firms. If you would like any further information please contact Elizabeth Champion on 0117 923 4714 or email: [email protected].