St John's Chambers houses one of the premier Chancery teams on the western circuit, with a collection of 'expert, approachable, and down to earth' barristers who 'offer London expertise at regional rates'. "
Chancery, probate, and tax
Members of our Wills & Trusts team are featured in the Chambers UK High Net Worth Guide 2021 as leaders in the private wealth market (outside London). This recognition clearly demonstrates the team are leaders in their field nationally. Read more here. We were shortlisted for “Chambers of the Year” at the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Awards in 2017, and again in 2018.
Members of the team regularly advise and represent clients in relation to lifetime settlements, will trusts, charitable trusts, resulting or constructive trusts, and trusts arising from the co-ownership of land. Their work covers both contentious and non-contentious matters, including:
- Advising on trustees’ powers and duties
- Applications to court for directions
- Applications to remove trustees
- Construction and rectification of trust instruments
- Trustee mistake claims
- Post-death variations, disclaimers and appointments out of trusts
- Applications under the Variation of Trusts Act 1958
- Advising on trusts of personal injuries damages
- Beddoe Applications
- Trusts issues in matrimonial proceedings
- Claims under Trusts of Land & Appointment of Trustees Act 1996
- Co-ownership and trusts of land
- Trusts in Charitable trusts
- Professional negligence in trusts matters
As the number of cases being dealt with by way of mediation increases, our mediation team are on hand to help, be it by providing the advocates, mediators or both. Our facilities are specifically designed to meet with clients’ needs for a mediation venue. Read more.
Some members of the team are also available to act, where appropriate, for members of the public, as well as for commercial and non-commercial organisations, under the Public Access scheme.
The team delivers workshops and seminars in Chambers and regional centres. We also provide training on behalf of local Law Societies and in conjunction with solicitors’ firms. In addition we can give tailored in-house training for particular firms. If you would like any further information please contact Paul Bennett on 0117 923 4793 or email: [email protected].